Monday, June 20, 2011

Superfudge Brownies

My late Aunt Sandy when she passed away had so MUCH STUFF in her 1 bedroom apartment it was mind blowing. She loved everything. She collected antiques, perfume bottles, cookie jars and much more. She loved being in the kitchen but she loved being able to eat. Food was huge for her and it was her way of socializing and meeting people. We are kind of similar in a way about food and finding passion in something we love. It is apparent I love to cook, bake and try new things in the kitchen. I don’t mind sharing either and I like to bake for other people. That is what makes me very happy is when other people can enjoy it as well.

BJBrownies3

I also LOVE cookbooks. I guess you could say I collect those too? My aunt had several cookbooks and one of them was the Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream and Dessert Book. The book is pretty old and has loose pages, but it is one of my favorite cookbooks. It has recipes from some of their popular ice cream flavors and recipes for their chocolate chip cookies and brownies!

I don’t know about you but I love Ben & Jerry’s. My favorite pint’s of love you can buy at the grocery store is their Karamel Sutra, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Half Baked, Phish Food, and Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch. I really want to try Milk and Cookies because I hear it is amazing! If anyone wants to send me free ice cream I’m definitely down!!! ;)

I also love Ben & Jerry’s missions to promote quality of life, use the finest quality of ingredients, practice good business and respecting the environment, and to be a sustainable company to profit both stakeholders and employees. That is amazing and you don’t find that from many companies!

I was in a brownie kind of mood and decided to make their Superfudge Brownies. It is a light and chewy fudge brownie that I love. These were one of the easiest brownies to make and nothing complicated about them at all. Only 7 ingredients that you should have in your kitchen if you love to bake. I promise you these brownies will be loved by everyone!

BJBrownies6

Superfudge Brownies
From Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream & Dessert Book

Ingredients
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (I used unsalted butter)
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour

Direction
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and lightly flour a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. (I used a 9 x 9in square pan.)

Melt the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Let cool in the pan to room temperature. If you’re in a hurry, you can quickly cool it in the refrigerator, but be sure it doesn’t get solid again.

BJBrownies1

Ice bath in the sink worked for me.

BJBrownies2

The fluffy eggs, with sugar added.

Beat the eggs and salt in a mixing bowl until very fluffy. Gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture. Add the flour and fold just until blended. (It is important to fold in the chocolate and flour gently to keep the batter as fluffy as possible.)

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. (I baked mine for exactly 28 minutes, once you smell chocolate permeating the kitchen that means they are done.) Let cool in the pan completely before cutting. Makes 9 brownies. I ended up with 12 brownies!

BJBrownies7 BJBrownies3 BJBrownies4 BJBrownies5 


 

Fallon

3 comments:

Kristen said...

My family loves this recipe, too. I have found that those brownies just get better with a day of waiting, but who can resist them long enough to wait?!

Pam said...

Rich, decadent, and delicious - my family would love these!

Katrina said...

I have brownies in the oven right now and the recipe is similar (but only for an 8x8 pan). Smells good in here. I need to go look that book up on Amazon. I love stuff like that.